Hari Rama Murthy
Shri Rama Murthy was born in the village of Kuchipudi in a traditional family of Kuchipudi dancers and choreographers. He initially learnt dance in his village at Siddhendra Yogi Kalapeetham under Shri Pasumarthy Krishna Sharma, Shri Chinta Ramamanatham and later came under the tutelage of the legendary Kuchipudi maestro Padmabhushan Dr.Vempati Chinna Satyam at Chennai.
Hari Rama Murthy was the one of the principal dancer in Vempati Chinna Satyamâ€™s ballets from 1984. He has traveled to Europe, Americas and Australia as a member of the troupe. Some major nationally acclaimed dance festivals where he has performed include Konark Dance Festival, Khajuraho Dance Festival, Sangeet Natak Academy dance festivals, and tours sponsored by the ICCR. Some noteworthy performances in the US include at the Kennedy Center and performances for various cultural organizations. He also performed for the First world Music and theatre festival in Amsterdam.
In addition to being an internally acclaimed performer he is a beloved guru and mentor to many students of Kuchipudi. He currently manages the training of Kuchipudi to students in Kuchipudi Kalakshetra an institution started by his guru Vempati Chinna Satyam. He also imparted training in Kuchipudi at Andhra University Dance Department where he worked as a Dance Lecturer. He has also choreographed various items in the solo repertoire to commissioned music which have received critical acclaim.
Detailed information of his tours and roles performed in Vempati Chinna Satyamâ€™s ballets..
- Tour of U.S.A in 1984, Narada in Srinivasa Kalyanam, Rukmi in Rukmini Kalyanam and Ananda in Chandalika.
- Tour of erstwhile U.S.S.R sponsored by ICCR for participation in the India Festival in U.S.S.R.
- Tour of U.S.A in 1990.
- Tour of Germany in 1992 sponsored by ICCR for participation in the India Festival in Germany.
- U.S.A in 1993 for Lecture demonstrations, classes and conducted programs of Kuchipudi.
- Tour of U.S.A in 1994, Narada in Haravilasam, Dasaratha in Ramayana and Rakshasa in Ksheera Sagara Mathanam.
- Tour of Netherlands in 1996 for World Music and Theatre Festival performed in Haravilasam.
- Tour of U.S.A in 1998, Bhagiratha in Ardhanareshwaram, Kanva Maharishi in Sakuntalam and Balichakravarthy in Ksheera Sagara Mathanam.
- Tour of U.S.A in 2000 as Indra and Arjuna in Kiratarjunyam, Ghana Vishnu and Salva Narasimha Rayulu in Sripada Parijatham.
- Tour of U.S.A in 2003 for workshops, lecture demonstrations and conducting training classes in Kuchipudi for the Kuchipudi schools and conducted lecture demonstration for the University of Richmond.
- World Tour in 2004 to U.S.A, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore as Indra and Arjuna in Kiratarjunyam, Ghana Vishnu, Salva Narasimha Rayulu in Sripada Parijatham and Kamsa in Gopika Krishna.
- Russia and Germany in 2009 for ICCR for conducting programs, lecture demonstrations and classes.
- U.S.A in 2009 for conducting classes in Richmond, Virginia., in 2010 both summer and winter camps for conducting classes in Richmond, Virginia.
Shri Hari Rama Murthy holds a diploma in Kuchipudi and Kuchipudi Yakshaganam from Potti Srimaulu Telugu University and was a recipient of the scholarship given to young artists by the Department of Culture, Govt of India.
He conducted Nattuvangam and programs for his students for many cultural organizations in India namely India International Center, Gunghroo Festival, Govt of Madhya Pradesh, South Zone Cultural Center, Thanjavur and South Central Zone Cultural Center, Nagpur. He also judged Dance competitions for the program â€œMuvvala Savadiâ€ for DD Sapthagiri in 2009.
For his contributions for the propagation of Kuchipudi dance he has been conferred with many awards and titles, some of them are..
- Waltair Junior Chamber â€œOutstanding Young Person of the year awardâ€ 1996.
- â€œUgadi Puraskaramâ€ by Shri Kameshwari Peetham in the year 2008.
- â€œOutstanding Natyacaharya of Kuchipudiâ€ Natya Ravali Trust in 2008.
- Visakha Fine Arts and Cultural Academy in 2010.
MIG – I-212,
Visakhapatnam – 530041
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.